Georgian Bay General Hospital's obstetrical unit provides Level I obstetrical care at our Midland site. The service has one obstetrician and various general practitioners providing obstetrical care. The birthing rooms are separated from the post-partum beds which are located at one end of a general medical/surgical unit. Georgian Bay General partners with Orillia Soldier's Memorial Hospital which is a Level II facility with paediatricians on staff. You should expect your baby to room in with you during your hospital stay.
- During the labour process moms may have two support people with them.
- Visiting hours are 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. and open for partners. Siblings are welcome to visit but must be supervised at all times.
- A normal post partum stay is two days. If you have a Caesarian birth your length of stay is generally four days.
- Due to security reasons the hospital requests that you not leave your baby unattended. Moms and babies are given bracelets with matching numbers.
- Pre-admission information packages are available from your doctor's office to give you further details about the Obstetrical Unit.
Items you will need to bring with you:
- Labour and Delivery:
- Watch or stop watch
- Lip protection (lypsil/lip gloss)
- Pen (not pencil)
- Lotion and/or body powder
- Two pairs of socks
- Elastic to keep long hair off neck
- Soap and shampoo and other items for personal care (toothbrush/paste etc.)
- Breast pads
- Pen (for filling out government documents)
- Housecoat (medium weight)
- Blow dryer
- Bra (one cup size larger than pre-delivery)
- Night gowns
- Sanitary napkins (no tampons)
Baby Care Items:
- Diapers (newborn)
- Heavy baby blanket
- Baby wipes/wash cloths
Pre-registration is mandatory!
Please contact the obstetrical department at 526-1300 extension 5051 to book your appointment for a tour.
Please call for information
The “tour” involves a tour of the hospital and introduces you to some of the policy and procedures during your stay at GBGH. The basic principle of the tour is to get you comfortable with your surroundings and describes what will occur when you come in, in labour.
Please bring your health card, extended benefit card (if applicable) to tour night, the session will take approximately 2 hours. Partners & coaches are encouraged to attend with you.
Please note that circumcisions are performed for a fee in Ontario - $287. You will be required to pay prior to the procedure.